- Download Sun JDK from Sun Website of course for linux (click here) or just go to http://www.sun.com for latest JDK.
- Open Terminal or Konsole if you are using Kubuntu.
- Open your JDK download directory (save at Home folder recommended), right-click, select copy and right-click and select Paste to paste on Terminal.
- it will look like this:
[email protected]:~$ /Download/jdk-6u10-rc-bin-b28-linux-i586-21_jul_2008.bin
then just add sh before the location just like this:
[email protected]:~$ sh /Download/jdk-6u10-rc-bin-b28-linux-i586-21_jul_2008.bin
Read the obvious License agreement and type yes to continue.
- the jdk folder should be in the same folder as the installation file.
- There are many ways to install eclipse but I recommend to use Add/Remove Application at Applications>Add/Remove...
7. Install eclipse and take your break and have some coffee. Trust me, it will take long time unless you have very high speed internet connection. I envy you if you do! ;-) Streamyx Sucks. TMNet Direct which my university subscribed is not even better.
After the installation finished , type sudo -b gedit /etc/eclipse/java_home . For kubuntu, you just need to change gedit to kwrite.
[email protected]:/etc/eclipse$ sudo -b gedit /etc/eclipse/java_home
(See above screenshot) Put your jdk location on top of the list after #. For example, my jdk location is /home/aizuddin/jdk1.6.0_10.
8. Try to open Eclipse. It should be no problem to understand what is "Scanner".